So, I was sitting here wondering how in the hell I would ever possibly top that last recipe… and lo and behold: I think this one might have done just that!
This recipe high in protein, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and healthy fats. It can be served cooked/baked and leftovers are good either reheated or chilled in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, you will want to eat the leftovers relatively soon as the avocados won’t last very long — but trust me, that won’t be a problem. This is the type of recipe that tastes so good, you’ll keep going back for additional servings!
Dietary Note: If you are vegan or have any allergy to cheese, simply omit the cheese from this recipe.
1/6 bunch parsley, fresh
2/3 cup quinoa
3-4 fresh avocados, halved and pitted
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese (omit if vegan or allergic)
2 Tbsp grated pecorino cheese (omit if vegan or allergic)
1 cup water
Kosher salt, to taste
3 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
Lemon juice (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse parsley and finely chop leaves, discarding stems.
- Rinse avocados, cut in half, remove pit and outer skin.
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the quinoa and stir to coat. Then, add 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt. Increase the heat to high and bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the water has evaporated. When the quinoa is tender and the water has been fully absorbed, remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the parsley and crumbled goat cheese to the quinoa. Add salt to taste. Stir until combined.
- Divide the quinoa cheese mixture evenly among the avocados, filling each avocado pit to the top.
- Grease a large ovenproof baking dish with 1 tsp olive oil. Arrange the avocados in the dish and sprinkle the grated pecorino over the top. Drizzle 1/2 Tbsp olive oil over the top of each avocado, then sprinkle with just a pinch of salt. Finally, drizzle lemon juice over the outside of each avocado to keep from browning and to add a citrus flavor.
- Bake until the avocado starts to harden and the pecorino cheese becomes golden — just for a few minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.